- Congenital Heart Defects are common and deadly, yet CHD research is grossly under-funded relative to the prevalence of the disease.
- There are NO cure for any of the congenital heart defects. Only "repairs".
- More than 50% of all children born with CHD will require at least 1 invasive surgery in their lifetime.
- In most cases, scientists do not know what causes the heart to have a defect.
- There is no limit to how many defects a patient can have been born with.
- CHD is the #1 birth defect and kills more people than all of childhood cancers combined.
- Each year over 1,000,000 babies are born worldwide with congenital heart defect. 100,000 of them will not live to see their first birthday.
(credits to Becca, give her some love and check out her blog: http://lifeasachronicallyillteen.blogspot.com/)
Also, because red is the color of Heart Month, I decided to wear red everyday during Congenital Heart Disease week. Being the narcissist I am, I also took pictures everyday (or at least when I remembered) for proof.
Aristotle once said, "Equality consists of the same treatment of similar persons" We're all different thanks to reproduction and each individuals genetic stem but we are all human. We're all apart of this society making us all equal. No one is less important, more significant, matters or favored more. Whether through our words, our acts or our cures; we all deserve to be treated the same.
|Flamin Red Lips|
|How could one be told to go to school when it's so beautiful outside?|
|Red Hipster glasses|
|Chilling in my glad rags :)|
|Valentine's Day/ Single Awareness Day/ biggest high school popularity contest|
Don't leave us in the dark, spread the word and raise awareness! Until next time, Happy Heart Month peaches!